Hastings Borough Council warns of potential job losses

Published on by Tom Howard (author)

Hastings Borough Council (photo: Tom Howard)
Hastings Borough Council

Hastings Borough Council has announced plans to cut around 10% of its workforce in the next two years.

The council is blaming the government for the cutbacks, which will also see the Old Town Museum close down.

In its budget proposals released on Friday (16th January), Hastings Borough Council said that key services had been protected as best they can, but added that the 6.4% reduction in spending power would inevitably cause some problems.

Council  Leader Jeremy Birch said: “This has been a hugely difficult budget-setting process. 

“Leading councillors and senior officers have spent many hours poring through the council’s spending – every pound has been examined to check if it is really needed.”

Council Leader Jeremy Birch has called the cut 'perverse' and 'unfair'

Council Leader Jeremy Birch has called the cut 'perverse' and 'unfair'

Local MP Amber Rudd disagrees with the council’s interpretation of the cuts, though, insisting that the government is taking care of people in her constituency.

“I reject their (the council’s) interpretation of the cuts, I think they’ve put a very political spin on it”, she said.

Mrs Rudd added: “ I think the government is looking after Hastings and Rye, and I’ll make sure they continue to do so.”

The council also said that the cutbacks will result in higher car park charges and that community organisations will receive a significant reduction in support.

The council will make its final decision on next year’s budget on 25th February.

0 Response(s) to “Hastings Borough Council warns of potential job losses”

Leave a reply